Thursday 23 June 2011

for the fans!

I just did a quick session on the tractor this evening! I don't want a hobby to turn into an obsession! mmm...

I started by checking everything over from the last painting session. I touched up the rocker cover and put in the new cork gasket. I then oiled the engine top and put the rocker cover back on and screwed it down.

As the base layer of primer is on, I am going to start reconstructing the key components in preparation for the second coat and then the grey spray. You can see in the below photo that I have also put in the manifold bolts.


I also put on the new gaskets for the manifold. I have also painted this in primer- but am worried that a special paint tpe may be required. I really like the uniformity of the paint base layer.


The quiksteel arrived in the post today. Nice and easy, it is basically a putty version of araldite. Spend a few minuted kneading it together and then it starts to warm up. I then pushed it into the hole and around the damaged area- I tried to push it back in to allow access to the bolt head. I smothed it out with my fingers and plan to sand it back at some point. I certainly has sealed up the hole and was fully hardened in around 5 minutes- very good stuff.


To finish off, I put in the thermostat for the water cooling system. A new gasket is requitred to seal around the two parts and I bolted them together with my new bolt sets which arrived today. The new bolts are brilliant, although it is difficult to know if they are exactly the right size as alot of the theads are blocked with oil and dirt. The new parts look great:


I also noticed the hole on the front right hand side of the thremostat housing- I looked at the old piece and there was a brass plug. i removed this with a major amount of leverage with a 4 foot power bar! I think the water and calcification tends to block the threads on bolts etc in the water system. So the leverage worked sweetly. I chipped off the old grey paint and cleaned up the brass plug. I really like the little touches of the exposed metal parts. I primed up the whole new piece, and it blends in nicely.


I then reconstucted the cooling fan and primed up the piece. I used the original bolts and it went together nice and easy. The fan was actually the first item I primed, so it feels good to be going back on the tractor. I have a new radiator and hose set ready to put back on- but only after the tractor has its grey fergie coat!


To finish I primed the mid section of the tractor. I checked the putty and then chipped any other paint away as well as cleaning up any excess oil. As a comment on my previous blog post, the oil can be replenished possibly with a thin grease to avoid an leaks etc. After cleaning it up, it felt good to complete for the first coat- other than the bottom of the tractor which I will only be able to do when the wheels go on.


I am still bidding on the cross shaft, and funnily enough the fuel filters have been bidded right up by a user with 0 feedback. As expected! I will keep an eye on them and see what I can get them for. I would like to get them!

I must get the front axles done! However I think I am all grinded out at the moment! I'm planning to get the front end fully completed on saturday. I am hoping soon to be progressing into some of the more technical aspects! I have also realised that the whole decompression system is missing and the lever is seized. No searches have revealed where to get these parts- and I can't seem to source new ones. So any ideas re decompression lever/rod/parts are greatly welcolmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment