Wednesday 1 June 2011

ki-gass and heating coil

Well the ki-gass system is pretty cool. I had never heard of it before. Old cars/tractors and even Spitfires used a similar system, which as I understand sprays fuel into the air intake manifold over the heating coil.. Which makes the engine easier to start.

Quite cool- however my tractor has a number of missing ki-gass parts. The dash switch is there, but painted over, but there are no pipes or reservoir etc. I have managed toi get a small reservoir tank off agriline, and I believe this is manually filled with fuel, for the starting process- all cool.

The working plungers on the dashboard are on ebay for over £180! So am hoping I can get mine working- whatever working means?

I have looked at the existing coil and a replacement part. They can both be seen below. Note the existing one seems to have a fuel line, however the new one, is a much bigger coil- but with no obvious fuel connection. I'm not sure this is actually ki-gass compatible!? More research is clearly needed.


I will remove the ki-gass switch from the dash tonight and see if I can start cleaning it up.

5 comments:

  1. The one with the long coil is the correct one. The fuel line should go in above the coil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks

    At least i'm buying the right stuff!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian ,

    The Heater coil on the right is the original Ki-Gass heater .The coil heats up and diesel from the pump is sprayed over it causing it to combust and hot air being drawn into the inlet manifold , The Heater on the left with the pipe is a thermo-start coil for later tractors . When the coil heats up a valve inside opens allowing fuel thru which then ignites and has the same effect as the first coil . I have one of these fitted to my 1947 TE 20 P3 .. A subtle upgrade but way more effective than the original .


    Regards

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian ,

    The Heater coil on the right is the original Ki-Gass heater .The coil heats up and diesel from the pump is sprayed over it causing it to combust and hot air being drawn into the inlet manifold , The Heater on the left with the pipe is a thermo-start coil for later tractors . When the coil heats up a valve inside opens allowing fuel thru which then ignites and has the same effect as the first coil . I have one of these fitted to my 1947 TE 20 P3 .. A subtle upgrade but way more effective than the original .


    Regards

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. The LH item is a Thermostart - I guess an upgrade on Ki-Gass as it doesn't need a pump as it is self-fuelling.

    ReplyDelete