Wednesday 1 June 2011

Brake components and ki-gass

Right, have made good progress on the back left brake. I have taken it apart as per the manual instructions, with a view to giving it a good clean and oil.

Before the process:


Funnily enough, on this photo you can see where one of the previous owners have cut out the drum retaining bolts. They are just stubs still stuck in the axle piece. Obviously, these were never a good design! Dan has brought round some chisels, and the plan is to chisel out the head of the bolt.

I removed the springs, then eased off the retaining bar. The springs were relatively easy with the pliers. Once all off the brake shoes came off nice and easy. All good so far. The main problem was the actual bar connectinh the brake pedal to the drum. I managed to get this off be disconnecting the padal and pushing it back through the drum. This is heavily corroded, but still strong- so it will be a respray job, or some ebay action!

I cleaned the whole area off with wd40 and wire brushed it back. Nice easy job, with no big problems!


The outside part of the brake area is really pitted from rust through the years. I keep wanting to get things perfect, but in this case the pitting are proof of age I suppose- I do want to leave some character in the tractor! This is a constant debate in my head! Do I look to replace or clean up existing. When I started the project it seemed easy just to buy new bits and bolt them on- but I have realised it may lose some of the history/character of the tractor. So where possible, especially with the body work, am going to try to retain the existing parts.

So after doing the brakes, and a quick chat with Dan, I decided to have a look at the ki-gass controller on the dash area.

From what I can see, it is like a Y section of pipe with a unscrewable part. I can only assume the fuel goes in one pipe and out the other- just not sure the screw part! I have some photographs below, annoyingly the actual ki-gass text is not left on the handle part... :(



I'm hoping all the parts required are in place!

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I am going to follow this with interest! - .. I know bugger all about cars, maybe this will help ! thats how it works, rite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, now I see it, I swear blind I had one of these as a toy model once. It had a usable steering column that turned the front wheels, and it was pillarbox red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. Construction

    ReplyDelete