Wednesday 8 June 2011

First priming

The flywheel has the new teeth!

The agricultural engineers have fitted the new teeth to the flywheel. Dan managed to take lots of photos of the process, so even though I wasn't there- I will post the whole process.

I have looked at the photos, and lots of tools and heat were used- looks pretty cool. We are planning to fit it back on this weekend- looking forward to getting it all back together. I have also received the new starter motor and the teeth are superb. The starting will be great at least!

In the meantime, I have starter grinding back the paint to the metal and then priming up. I have found a major problem is, that when I clean up the body it can rust quite quickly if exposed to the elements. So the plan now is, as most removable parts are off the tractor- I grind back the paint a section at a time and then prime it up with a brush. The idea is that once the whole tractor is primed, I will add back the parts and spray the grey ferguson paint on- then add on the final clean/new parts. I hope this is the right order.

The back axle is the start of the priming as the engine is still disconnected.


The body parts at the back are fairly pitted- but still solid. I like the effect!


The hardest part is cleaning the areas around the axle stands- but these will have to be re-completed once we get the wheels on. I have ordered new large bolts to hold on the rear mud guards, as the ones removed were not the original 'through' bolt.

So not bad progress- but the rain has been terrible so cleaning and priming hasn't progressed as well as expected. I am starting to get more frustrated with the battery life on the grinder- so Dan has brought an electric grinder- I just need to get a 30m power cord!

The next stage is the weekend to put the engine back on to the tractor body- after replacing the flywheel and putting the new clutch on. All seals and bearings have been done- so all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment