Sunday 29 May 2011

Wheels off

The current state


So the work that has been completed so far:

-Some scratching a stripping

-Removed bonnet, radiator and cooling pipes
This was to fix the radiator, but it turned out to be rotten- so needs replacement. When I took the radiator off, all the hoses were perished. Then I found out that there was no thermostat, and the top pipe was a bodge job. I removed the pipe work, hence you can see into the engine block - The orangey bit!

So the whole cooling system needs fully rebuilt- I think i have all the parts ready, but want to grind back the paint and respray the block before I put it back on. I also removed the fan belt and fan which needs brushed and sprayed.

-I have removed the fuel system
All the manifold and air intakes have been removed, along with the fuel pump and the pipe work and injectors. It looks like one of the injectors didn't have any copper rings and was leaking diesel. I have wire brushed all the injectors and they are looking a lot better.

It also turns out that the tractor was missing the aux fuel tank, ki-gas system, and has had a recent fuel filter put on it. So lots of kit to order!

-The Alternator has been removed, and I have the new dynamo ready to swap it.

-The starter motor was not starting the tractor correctly- so I removed it. Oh dear- the teeth on the flywheel have been ground away and the teeth on the starter motor and ground away- hence the strange noise on starting. The flywheel teeth ring needs to be replaced and I need to work out what to do with the starter motor.

-Removed the exhaust and manifold- rotten.. needs to be replaced. I have ordered new- with the cool little top exhaust bit that protects the engine from rain...

-I have removed all the dashboard and linkage to the engine. This was a rubicks cube of bolts and nuts- All covered in 4 layers of paint and rusted on solid.

-Have started removing the steering linkages/rods, as I need to split the tractor with a view to replacing the flyweel teeth and putting a new gasket on. There was an oil leak from the main part where the engine connects to the body of the tractor. However the rods are jammed on the front axle. Need to work out how to fix this.

-All the oil has been drained- however in the back, the oil was milky- which suggests a water leak. I think this has come in through the PTO, as there are now cracks on the case. Fingers crossed here though. Strangely on the back right of the tractor and wooden bung had been made to block a hole up. When I drilled this out, I was sprayed with milky oil- It stunk! and ruined a pair of combats and my favorite KTM t-shirt.. grrrr...

- Have removed the back wheels and am starting on fixing the brakes. The back right brake doesn't work and looks like the brake bar is seized. I have started taking off the drums, this was ok on the right- but the left has a strange countersunk both that has totally seized. Have tried the penetration spray, tapping with the hammer and a lot of force- but its stuck solid...

- The whole air filter etc has been removed and looks ok- just needs a good clean up. Also the pre-cleaner was missing- so i have ordered a new one.

-I have had the rocker cover off- everything looks pretty sweet in there- but has a small crack in the cover and again the gasket has perished.

So the next steps are:
-Fix the seized bolt on the rear right break hub with a view to fixing the brakes.
-Deconstruct the rear left brake mechanism and clean up
-Start cleaning up the air filter and other pieces that have been taken off

I think that is about it. I also bought a great Makita tool kit with a battery grinder- which is doing a great job at getting the paint and rust off.

Makita tool kit

This is well worth investing in!

I have found however when I grind the paint off, it rusts over again! So I have ordered some red oxide primer paint from ebay...

I think thats everything- I will put up some detailed photos on the problem areas....

Either way, the deconstruction is going well- I have no idea where anything goes though. ugggg


Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment