Saturday 20 August 2011

Test drive

So, we managed to get some of the key 'driving' functionality' fixed today. With a view to test drive the tractor and confirm all the mechanicals are working.

Firstly, we filled the gearbox and rear section of the tractor up with oil, it took a good 12 litres I reckon, and seems to slowly fill the rear section. Once filled, we started the tractor and tested the rear hydraulics - they work sweetly.. The rear arms rise and fall as required.

Once complete - a number of jobs needed doing:

-- Track rod connection and front wheel alignment. We got these screwed back so the wheels aligned - there is a broken thread on the left track rod end, so I need to order a replacement to actually get the locking nut on there.

-- Exhaust stack. This is an easy push on, and a metal bracket to hold it tight. 5 mins to get on, and really makes the tractor quieter!

-- Wheels. Using the trolley jack, I managed to get the front and rear wheels on to the tractor. All the nuts are tightened and the wheels are lined up nicely. The wheels are sound, but need stripping and finishing before re painting. This is a job for autumn! My plan was to send these away and get the shot-blasted, but it will be just too expensive- so planning to do it myself.

We spent more time with the loom, but its proving complicated! We have worked out the entire thing- other than the solenoid. we can't work out how to close the solenoid circuit by pushing the gear lever forward... Dan is taking it to the Agricultural Engineers for some advice!

Well, I got the beast started and went for a little drive!

First thoughts, the clutch is great- second thought, sh1t! the brakes don't work... So need to adjust them!

Either way, I tested all gears, including reverse- then decided to go for a little drive round the front field... It started off great, as I was driving down the side of the field, with the sun on my back, I had a moment of elation! I decided to turn and drive back up the field, and DISASTER!!!! The tractor seemed to start running out of power, I put full throttle on- but even then it felt weak.. until eventually it came to a halt.


I would start up great, but as soon as I put it into gear, and started to release the clutch it just didn't have the power to move...


Dan came over, and we got it started, put it on full throttle, it coughed and bogged then it almost popped and revved right up into life. I jumped on and drove it straight back up to the log shed- with no problems.

On closer inspection, it looks like the old/new fuel filter that I am temporarily using is not sealing and air is getting through and maybe even dirt etc isn't getting filtered. Basically the engine was fuel starved... The plan is to get one of the original fuel filter housings on, but we need to get a proper seal in the top, and also get some fabric washers to seal the line.

Things to sort:

-- Radiator alignment.. The radiator just isnt right, It needs to move down and bolt directly onto the metal base- I need to sort out the kink in the top pipe.

-- Fuel filters.. As discussed, the cause of all the problems! I need to get the filter housing on correctly.

-- Wheel restoration. the wheels are a mess, and need paint stripping, grinding up and then priming. I also need new tyres put on the back as the current ones are showing through to the inner tube.

-- Brake tightening. The brakes need sorting so they have some bite!

Either way, the first drive has been fairly successful and very enjoyable! with only a minor panic!


No comments:

Post a Comment