Sunday 19 June 2011

brake rebuild and front axle unbuild

Managed to touch up some areas of primer and paint up around the PTO on the back of the tractor. A new gasket arrived in the post yesterday- so we changed the gasket over and tightened up the new seal. So I think the PTO section is completed.

I have already been looking at PTO implements, but want to get everything working first before investing in any tractor tools!

We prepared and primed up all the brakes linkages, and great news is that the once seized brake linkage on the rear right of the tractor is all now running free, and reconnected. I basically took the entire section apart and cleaned and brused them back to the metal and then primed them. Once dried, we copper greased any exposed or moving sections and fitted it all back together loosely. Both sections are missing some springs which should all be delivered next Tuesday. At least we know it is all as it should be- once I get the remaining parts, I will build it and connect it permanently.

One issue is that the grease nipples on the parts and full of rust and mud- so the plan is to order some off ebay and replace where possible. The bars are fairly pitted, but it all adds to the originality!


The rear left brake section is also rebuilt and can be seen in the below picture. It is good to see the original faults getting fixed, and the tractor starting to go back together.


Whilst Dan was finishing off the brake sections, I turned my attention to the front axle section. The bolts holding it all together were all different and this was annoying me! So I am planning to buy new front axle bolts and have them so I can change the track width and have a uniform look at the front end. Trying to remove these to a LOT of force. The screw threads were badly corroded all the way to the end, so the nut never loosened- I can see why the previous owners never changed them. I used the 5 foot scaffold pole and the socket to move them- and even then it was difficult all the way!

Once the three were separated I get them a good wire brush and grinded back all the paint and dirt. I'm planning to get these all completed over next week - so fingers crossed for some better weather and light nights. I started with the middle section, however there are a lot of inaccessible parts and the central metal basin area was solid with mud! The whole area was full of hard packed, dry mud!

There was no way i could get a grinder in, so i worked the mud with a long screw driver and it started to flake off. This must have been in there for years and years! Even with the screw driver, there was mud I couldn't get out. So I carried the part round to the stable and used the car jet wash. This worked a treat, and with a good 10 mins of jet power, all of the remaining mud was dislodged and a drain hole appeared at the bottom of the section!

You can see the section below drying, ready for the primer coat:


Once dried, I primed up the whole part, as can be seen in the below pictures:


There is a lot of wear and degeneration of the metal, but the steel plate is stick very thick. The actual part that connects to the front of the tractor is solid, with very little pitting- so I am confident continuing the use of this on the tractor. If the rust and degradation was round the section that holds the weight on the axle, I would probably look to replace the part.


So a good, productive day so far.

I need to order, Front axle bolts.

Then this week, the plan is to do the equivalent work on the axle sections that connect to the wheels- so we can get the front end put back together and take the front wheels off.

I have also started degreasing the fornt section, so getting it cleaned up and primed before the axle gets reconnected. I know that once it is back on, there are a lot of areas I can't get the paint brush. I also cleaned up the oil filter housing and around the pump connection area.


Good news on ebay at the moment:

I have found a ferguson plough spanner

and

A twin set of fuel filters with all the pipe work! I have been looking for these for around a month now- so I will be very happy if I win the auction for a reasonable price.

I also managed to get a full parts catalog for the tractor, which is so useful in seeing how the sections of the tractor fit together. I now fully understand the kigass system and other parts that were missing!

The brake example is below:



No comments:

Post a Comment